We were back in the Twin Cities to ring in the new year, although there was much talking and snuggling and less drinking and revelling. New Years Day we had a nice meal of shrimp cocktail, watercress salad and penne with vodka cream sauce. Then we took goofy pictures of ourselves (see right). I am back at work again for the next three days. I really appreciate how I took 1-2 weeks off in the past. That was so smart of me.
So much happened in 2007. We spent our first year living in St. Paul. We got pregnant. Shannon dislocated her shoulder. She officiated two wonderful weddings. I took pictures for both weddings. Two of her cousins had babies (although one was early and actually came in 2006) who are now both walking or near walking. Shannon went to Morocco. We celebrated nine years together. We visited New York City. We got to see friends multiple times during the year which leads me to ponder about how such visits can be incorporated into every year. I read 59 books this year (still trending down from the 78 in 2005, 63 in 2006, but still over the 50 book challenge).
Other events were less happy. Her uncle Doug, her grandmother Virginia and her father were all in the hospital this year. All are home now, but still dealing with the lingering health issues. Her grandmother Margaret was moved into town because she could no longer live on her own on the farm. Her mental health is continuing to deteroriate.
2008 promises to turn our world upside down. Shannon and I will both figure out what mother/parenthood means to us. The baby will go from abstract idea to reality with a sex, a name, a personality. We will also all see how two weeks with my mother will go. Here's hoping for a minimum of tears. I will spend most of 2008 not pregnant which will be a welcome change. I'm at a point of feeling uncomfortable more time than not, what with the ever expanding belly covered in stretch marks, the near constant heartburn and urination, plus the return of the fatigue from early pregnancy. I'm also just ready to meet this baby you know. Maybe I'll miss the connection, I can't say. Right now though I am looking forward to being alone in my body.

1 comment:
Yay! Pictures of pregnant Laura!
I'll try to get to the post office by the end of this week to mail you the pump...
Post a Comment