29 August 2008

week 30 (still blowing raspberries)


MVI_0311
Originally uploaded by fishtail
Shannon returned on Sunday and it was awesome. There is usually a bit of re-entry turbulence on both our parts, grouchy moods as we readjust, but I realize now it's got to be expected. Mostly there was lots of hugs, smooches and exclamations over how awesome is the kid. PJ might not realize where is or why Shannon's gone, but this time she seemed to really notice that Shannon was back. She was bouncing and smiley as soon as she saw her at the airport. She cranes her neck whenever she hears Shannon call her. It's astonishing to see the differences in her awareness from even just the beginning of summer to the end.

Also, we have the first tooth! On Friday or Saturday, I felt around in her mouth and felt a little rough bit on her bottom left front gum. Teething totally explains some of her breaks from routine. They have been mild like less naps for H, extra wakings at night and even less of a desire to take her bottles. Luckily pain relievers and lots of soft chewy toys help. I haven't been able to photograph it yet, but I'm working on it.

Monday we took the baby to the 8:30 Brandi Carlile concert at the state fair completely wrecking her schedule. She was a trooper though. Shannon and I took turns carrying her in the front pack, and I even figured out how to nurse her in it. Harder for me because of my long torso, PJ's long torso and gravity working against us, but not impossible.

Being at the fair with our child was surreal. In some ways, being a parent is still sinking in. Like this is her first fall. She's been getting a bit congested as the nights get cooler and it hit me that she's never experienced this season before. I think she's going to love the falling leaves.

She's getting closer to crawling every day. She can get up on her hands and knees and rock. She will swing around into a half crouch in order to reach a desired toy. I suspect she'll be mobile by the time the snow starts falling.

Tuesday I took PJ to the new day care to work on her adjustment. There was a dance program that some of the pre-K kids were doing and then we hung out on their playground. PJ was so chill and comfortable, it was great. The lead teacher is also named Laura and she and I talked about routines. I brought supplies, and they had her spots already labeled which was so welcoming. I hope it's a good fit. At 7 months vs almost 3 months, I see PJ as being much more able to handle a 1:4 caregiver ratio. She is good at being vocal when she needs attention. She is also more used to social interaction after H's kids all summer.

Today is the fair day with Laurie and Rick, woo! They came over and met PJ last night. She was tired but took to them right away. While she was nursing to sleep, Shannon made delicious friend rice and then we all sat on the deck talking until late. PJ woke up once or twice, but mostly slept fine. Matt eventually joined us, delayed by pagination issues with her thesis. We watched a bit of Obama's speech and then everyone left. We headed off to bed not long after. Today I'm at work for a bit, then running around (let out dogs, enjoy fair w/o baby, pick up baby, enjoy fair w/ baby and Shannon and Matt). I hope to take lots of photos.

And just in case you didn't think it could get any better, Shannon's got the whole weekend off! We are going to try to strike a balance between chores/errands and fun this weekend.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Fair day? jealous jealous jealous.

Also, I want to eat your baby's face.

Anonymous said...

Your baby is so adorable. I love that video!