22 August 2008

week 29

The second week of these two weeks externships are the worst. The end is near but also painfully far away. PJ and I get a bit tired of just each other every night. The dogs get more restless, more obnoxious. I get tired of cooking for myself and of all the quietness. I find myself talking less to PJ too because I'm just out of the habit.

Luckily last weekend, our dear friends the Kellys took me out to brunch and then watched the kid so I could run errands and have a solo lunch with reading. It was delightful, so much so that I felt a little guilty that I didn't miss my kid.

PJ has started this very cute habit. When she nurses at night, she often rolls away from me onto her back, stretches her arms and legs and then rolls on to her other side all while staying asleep. Slays me everytime. When she isn't falling asleep, but just nursing and then jumping wide awake, she has also started another cute habit. She rolls around like mentioned above but then she arches her neck to look back at me upside down and smiles like she's just seeing me for the first time. Often I don't find this habit as cool as she does because I am just desperate for her to go to sleep so I can be by myself.

I really feel by 29 weeks that I should start to write about something other than just weekly updates on my kid. I want to but I am having a hard time fitting anything personal in this summer. When PJ does sleep, I cram in everything I need to do: dishes, cat litter, television, milk management, reading, trying to be affectionate with the dogs, knitting, vegging out. I don't have a computer at home with internet when Shannon's gone. Even when she and her laptop is around, the best free internet is upstairs and I try not to be up there while PJ sleeps. It's like she can sense on some extrasensory level that someone else is upstairs with her and having fun without her. She wants to wake up and party. Plus just this week when I did have some computer time at home due to taking a work laptop home for an early meeting the next day, the dogs rebelled at being left alone downstairs. There was some library book carnage I'm very saddened to say. It was my own fault I know for ignoring them too much. The dogs are so tolerant, so much so that I push their boundaries.

Maybe I just need to write with paper in the year calendar I bought. I haven't cracked it open since my parental leave from work. It doesn't seem possible that that was 3.5 months ago already. Time is a speeding bullet.

Exciting events afoot for next week. First off, the return of Shannon! Second the appearance of Laurie & Rick for the state fair. I'm so thrilled to see them and have them meet the kiddo. Adding in corndogs, cheese curds and lemonade is practically excessive. I plan on taking a million plus pictures of them. There also might be a visit to the fair beforehand to see Brandi Carlile. We'll have to see how the kiddo is doing next Monday or Tuesday when she's performing.

To top it all off, I can enjoy next week deeply because I FOUND CHILDCARE. That's right, despite my self-sabotage, anxiety and procrastination, a spot was procured in an excellent center. I had high hopes for home care, but didn't either find or get a spot in any we liked. Centers are more money, yes, but I am just happy I didn't have to go on unpaid leave at work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finding a great daycare! I bet that's a load off your mind.

Have a terrific time at the fair with Laurie and Rick--I wish I could be there to share in the food-on-stick goodness. Eat something fried for me.

Congratulations, too, on weathering all of this time as a solo mom. PJ is a lucky kid!