03 July 2008

week 22

Being a solo parent for this week wasn't too bad, but I set my expectations extremely low. I didn't try to get laundry done or make meals, I just tried to take care of myself as PJ as best I could. Mornings were hard because I had to rely on the high chair and exersaucer in order to get dressed or take a shower. I missed Shannon terribly, but unlike her previous absences I couldn't wallow or even be too bummed out. There just wasn't much time. I did stay up too late. There's something about being sad and watching dumb late night reruns.

PJ rolled over for Heidi this week, although she hasn't at home yet. I'm keeping my eye on her. She still naps like a champ for Heidi, two to four hours a day. She was on a bit of a bottle strike, only eating about 4-6 oz during the day. Maybe because Shannon was gone, I don't know. Subsequently I had the opportunity to give her a bottle Tuesday night because after nursing for 90 mins I was tapped out and the poor darling was still hungry. She took about 2.5 oz and promptly fell asleep.

I did try banana but PJ only enjoyed squishing it. When I put a bit up to her mouth, she semi-tasted it and started crying. It was kind of hilarious.

She's been enjoying the dog walking. I had her in the sling facing me but she kept contorting her body all funny which threw off the balance. This week I realized that she wants to be facing out, that she's twisting herself so she can see. So I switched her and it's more comfortable for us both. I lean her down for flowers and she swats at them.

She turned five months this week, on July 1st and it's astounding how much she's grown and changed. I think I've turned into a broken record on this point, but dudes, the baby is unstoppable on the growing and changing front.

Sleep wasn't too bad this week. PJ took awhile to fall asleep, but once she fell and stayed asleep, she was sleeping for a good 2.5-3 hours. I was elated to look up at the clock and realize it each night.

We are off to Colfax to celebrate Marlys' birthday and the nation's independence, but also to deal with Shannon's grandma Margaret's estate. Her health keeps declining and Shannon will not have any more time to visit until December. She is even hopping a flight from Kentucky tomorrow night to maximize the family time. The baby and I are driving down tomorrow with the dogs and lots of laundry. The dogs are probably doing to disappear down the road, giddy with their freedom to run, chase rabbits and generally do more than lay around the house and watch me hold the baby. I will be giddy with being around adults who will help me take care of PJ.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe your brand new baby is 5 freaking months old! You must be professional parents by now!

Can't wait to see all of yoU!