12 March 2008

week 6

We have been at Shannon's mom's since Saturday and it's been good. I was scared to travel with PJ, scared to leave our house and my comfort zone.

(Pause to go put down the sleeping baby and be able to type with two hands. She fell asleep after burbing on my shoulder and made such a cozy curled up lump that I left her on my shoulder while I read blogs. But posting with only one hand is much more difficult so I set her in her portable crib. I'm trying to be more consistent about not just having her sleep on a person's body, but also in her crib, just to keep her flexible.)

Anyway, Marlys fixed her house up to be so baby-friendly and welcoming and that's a big part of how smoothly this trip has gone. We have portable cribs on both floors and tons of supplies. I think it's her grandmotherly excitement run amok. It's the same reason she has already bought PJ enough clothes to take her through both spring and summer in style.

I also realized that I didn't have to be scared about being away from home because I was getting a whole week of Shannon! I guess I was freaking out thinking about being on my own in a different place, forgetting that it would not be just me and PJ. Having whole days together is wonderful, not only to share the work of PJ but for talking and connecting.

Everyone has been cooing and passing the baby around, loving her spiky hair and serious stares. Based on Shannon's unofficial weighing, we thinking she's already over ten pounds, up around eleven and a half. Needless to say she's still eating well.

I've been mopey thinking about having to go back to work at all, but also thankful I realized that I still have another six weeks. More time to get to know PJ, to figure out pumping and bottle-feeding, and to find a routine that allows us all to get up in the morning and out the door on time. Right now, PJ is so sweet and chill in the morning. She will nurse around 6 or 7 and then we both fall back asleep. This can continue until 11 or so if I'm sleepy. Then once she's actually up, she's alert and smiley, big wide gummy endeavors when you talk or make noises/faces at her. She'll sit and swing for awhile or just hang out in your arms. This leisure is what I'll miss the most daily once I have to be on time for work. Right now it's just lovely not having to be on time for anything.

No comments: