06 March 2008

week 5

There is still not enough time in the day to sleep as much as I want or to get anything done. We've got thank you notes to send out to family and friends. I keep missing Erin's calls and then not calling her back. I'm only answering every third call of my mother's even. I am getting some laundry and chores done during the day, but it's tenuous and totally depends on how much PJ fights sleep that day. I never realized how much I loved sleeping 7-10 hours a night. People without children (or dogs even) you must appreciate this luxury while you have it.

PJ is sleeping well, it's just that she fights falling asleep. Again I'll be a broken record on this, but it's damn hard to be the one to convince someone to fall asleep (via rocking, bouncing, nursing, shushing, etc).

I must admit though sometimes when she's slept for like 2 or 3 hours and she wakes up, for a split second I realize that I missed her while she was asleep. It's like she's brand new in my life again and it's awesome because she's so awesome. I usually spent the time online or cooking or something that isn't napping (because I am dumb) something that I miss having the time to do. In that moment of seeing her big eyes open up and see me, though, I am so happy to be getting back to taking care of her.

We are off to Iowa next week for spring break. It's going to be crazy, packing up the baby and way too much stuff, hoping that she's adaptable to staying at Marlys' house, and that she likes all the family. For sure I know there will be lots of love and lots of photos. I hope there will also be sleep.

(Before I go, let me take a minute to give a shout out to Katie and Melinda for their lovely gifts. Katie, the sweater is gorgeous and it's so lovely that it's made with the leftovers from Laurie & Rick's wedding blanket. I think that makes it extra special and beautiful. Melinda, you've been so sweet and supportive. The baby legs are going to be awesome. Another million thanks to you for all your parenting help. And also to Erin for the one month call. Even though I'm not getting back to you, it's awesome that you are reaching out to me).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about calling me back--I figure you have a lot of things going on, what with the brand new person who just came out of you. I'm glad to hear that all is going well. It's awesome to hear (read) you talking about what it's like to take care of PJ. You rock as a mama!

Melinda said...

No shout-outs necessary - I wish there was more that I could do.

And please -- all those people who say you should nap when your baby's napping are crazy. Or they have maids - one or the other.