09 February 2008

Week 1

I'm stealing a moment early Saturday morning. My mother has just left to drive back to St. Louis. I am mostly relieved. Having her as a houseguest was helpful during this first week of parenthood but also stressful. I think I have gained more tolerance and patience with her but even so. I'm happy to have my house back, ratty cat-scratched chairs and all.

I am working on a birth story for those who might be interested. I already seem to be forgetting things because each day brings something new so I wanted to try to write it down. I'm not sure what these next 11 weeks will feel like or what I feel like really from day to day. I have had some unexplainable crying this week, probably when my emotions have gotten too intense. I find myself feeling so strongly about Shannon as my partner through this, that both Piper and I would be so much less without her here, that together we can figure this parenthood out. I mean I knew I already loved her very much, but this is much more.

I don't know if I can say I was instantly in love with Piper, but I can say I was instantly fascinated by her. She makes funny faces while she sleeps, that light sleep before deep sleep, where her eyes dart around under her eyelids. She tries to suck on her fingers or hands all the time, but can't quite get them in her mouth like she wants. She holds her hands up by her face often when she sleeps in a kind of 'don't take my pictures any more' gesture. She still likes to curl up in a little ball on your chest and fall asleep that way. On her back, she often flings her arms out and get agitated (called the Moro reflex). When she's done breastfeeding, she purses her lips like a duck and lets her head fall slack.

I should get back, either to sleep or to take over rocking the munchkin. Today is going to be a very lazy day I think, especially since the temperature is plummeting this weekend. Tomorrow's high is -2, so they'll be no outings for the baby. Just cozy home time with both mamas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for baby stories! I'm so excited for you and Shannon. I've been thinking about you guys a lot.

Melinda said...

I never thought I would miss that Moro reflex but I do.

I'm looking forward to the birth story.