19 December 2007

winter rush

More has been going on in my life than my posting would indicate, but I can't seem to find time to write about any of it. I've been thinking and talking about my mother in light of the countdown to parenthood for me and Shannon (six weeks left). I don't suspect I'm the first person to do some frantic facing up to and processing feelings about her mother as parenthood looms, but it's still time consuming.

Shannon is in the end run of the past two-three weeks of exam hell, so she tries to be there as much as she can. I am so excited that her tests are over tomorrow, but not just so she can listen to me babble on and on. She's going to spend some serious time doing nothing - woo! But she is also going to do some daycare investigation as we have to get this figured out sooner rather than later. It will impact our budget plans as well as my work schedule post-baby. I am going to try to swing some work from home days if I can to save my sanity and keep as much money coming in as possible.

Speaking of work reminds me just how quickly my maternity leave is coming. I've been scrambling to get projects done or at least to the point they need to be before I duck out for twelve weeks. I'm such a procrastinator though so the mound of work is legion.

We leave for Iowa this weekend, not sure when due to snow and freezing rain predicted for the area. It'll be a shorter trip for me than normal because I've got to conserve my vacation time. I'll be back in the cities by Wednesday, maybe with Shannon, maybe without. She's going to see how her grandmothers are doing, healthwise, before she decides how long she'll stay. Her father also hasn't been doing well, so there's multiple family reasons to stay and interact. This separate trips is made possible by the second car we are picking up from one of the grandmas. Hopefully it will safely get me up north Christmas night.

In terms of a Christmas to-do list, we have some shopping left, but today a bunch of holiday cards are going out. We've only watched one version of "A Christmas Carol" and only a few animated classics so we've got to catch up. (Plus there's a DVD of 'Superbad' that's screaming Shannon's name). There are cookies, candies and pies to make over the weekend too. For some reason this year, I'm fiending for roll out cookie cutter holiday cookies with sprinkles. I just need to do it while listening to Christmas music. We are bringing a bunch of recipes with us too.

I'm going to try to take pictures and get some knitting done as well, but who knows. For cameras we inherited an old one from my mom over Thanksgiving so now we have two marginal digital cameras. For knitting, I am trying to finish all those projects languishing about 3/4s done. Perfect for in front of the TV watching "Elf" or "Rudolph" or any other fabulous holiday classics.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget about "The Ref"!

Laura said...

and "A Christmas Story"!

Anonymous said...

Six weeks! So exciting!

Have a lovely time over the holidays. I'll be back in MN for about a week, but we won't overlap much. I'll be in MN from the 23-29, but probably in Fergus the 26th-27th. Maybe we could get some lunch or dinner or coffee or dogpark sometime?