My best intentions to update here were dashed last weekend when we began dog-sitting (two big weimaraners and a beagle). It was already a busy weekend with a coworker's wedding, a visit from Marlys and the beginning of the aforementioned dog-sitting. We had fun with Marlys who brought up a beautiful glider she got for us, the family heirloom cradle made by Shannon's grandfather, as well as all the cousins' baby items. We totally hit the motherlode with an infant car seat, a bouncing chair and one of those breastfeeding pillows. The wedding was a full Catholic mass but was only about an hour. Shannon thought this was awesome since some can drag on and on. The reception was fun and involved many drinks (for Shannon) through the martini luge. We left early before dancing but after cake so we could spend more time with Marlys and let out the dogs.
Our visit began fine. We let the dogs out and watched a little cable. Shannon was going to stay overnight while Marlys and I were heading back around 11ish. The plan was to meet for breakfast Sunday morning. Due to my ineptitude, though, I locked us out through the front door without the keys to the back door. We had to go through the alley to the neighbors to get the spare key. Shannon volunteered but ended up tripping over a low fence and dislocating her shoulder. The neighbor heard her fall and helped us back in to pick up keys, wallets, etc before we rushed to the hospital. I wasn't sure which emergency room to go to, lest our insurance not cover it, so we ended up driving a bit farther to get to the campus emergency room. Poor Shannon as in intense pain and her shoulder muscles were all spasming and twitching. Xrays were hard because she could barely move it. Good pain meds were slow to arrive. Her shoulder had to be put back in the socket twice because it popped back out again. But by early Sunday morning, Marlys and I were able to take her home all wrapped up in a lling and bandages to keep the shoulder immobilized.
Marlys stayed until Monday which was awesome. I was going back and forth with our dogs and the other dogs and having to go into work. Shannon was able to sleep in the glider and kept nicely doped up on pain meds since Marlys was watching the clock. Tuesday we had an orthopedist consult who thought surgery would not be necessary and that arthritis should not be a future problem. She also had a MRI which apparently can turn anyone clausterphobic. She's been resting at home this week and beginning the long road of physical therapy.
I've stopped feeling intensely guilty since I know accidents can happen anywhere not just when I've locked us out of the house. Since the prognosis is so good, I also am no longer worried that I've ruined her vet career before it even began. But I still feel bad that she's in so much pain and that there's little I can do to alleviate it. I'm taking care of the weimaraners (named Nina and Sid by the way) as well as trying to stop by our house in the morning and evening to check on Shannon (who's got our dogs and the beagle named Maddie). We tried all five dogs in one house but it was too crazy. They all get along ok, but none of the dogs are very relaxed or comfortable. Maddie has severe separation anxiety so that's why she gets to be with Shannon. Our dogs have not gotten to the dog park as much since I'm the only one driving, but all in all, I think it's working ok.
We've got another week to go plus Shannon's heading to Kentucky next weekend for a conference, bum shoulder and all. Then school starts which I hope will not be too hard without the use of her right arm. She's already getting more ambidextrous.
3 comments:
Feel better Shannon!
And free baby stuff is the best kind of baby stuff.
Poor Shannon! Send her hugs and kisses from me!
So sorry to hear about that shoulder! Feel better soon...
Post a Comment