This weekend was full of friends and new experiences, but I didn't sleep enough. My ability to write entries that are more than details of what I'm doing or random thought fragments is still absent, so I present some weekend highlights:
Shannon and I checked out the Midtown Global Market on Sunday. It was a little weird with its combination of markets, restaurants, stores and live entertainment. Ok, it was just the live entertainment, aka a guy in a white tux covering soul songs billed as a Sammy Davis Jr impersonator. We did get a crate of the most beautiful and tasty clementines. Tonight we will be trying fresh green chick peas. It's nice having so many ethnic markets together (asian, latino, middle eastern) with fresh produce, but the restaurants might not make it.
I have discovered the awesomeness of Noro's Kureyon. I made a scarf tube neckwarmer thing for myself and the colors are mesmerizing. Not that I would have put them together like they did, but that's part of the beauty of it. Also, I finished a bulky wool hat for Shannon. It's a stranded colorwork affair in green, orange and brown because I didn't have enough of any one color for more cable work. I did a pattern most commonly seen in quilts called flying geese. It's basically triangles in the a row. I never mentioned it, but mine is the pattern from the Log Cabin Socks (here by the talented Ashley) in blue and brown. They are both a little big and very warm. I have more bulky wool, not Elann's Highland chunky this time, but GGH's Via Mala for more hats. I want to do an XO cable pattern for Shannon because I am silly and romantic.
We checked out the Merriam Park branch of the St. Paul library by us on Saturday. It's nice and has little study rooms you can reserve. Maybe there is room in my heart for mulitple library system love.
We met up with another lovely couple and had a long brunch on Saturday, like 9am-1pm of brunch. I think we convinced one of them to apply to vet school in addition to grad school.
Sunday morning I made breakfast burritos. Scrambled eggs and hashbrowns thrown in a warm flour tortilla are so good. I sprinkled on some green onion on mine but no salsa this time. I think flour tortillas are just under french bread in terms of my indulgence hierarchy. We usually try to eat whole grain everyday bread, but special occasion bread is definately white baguette or ciabatta from the Wedge. This is the bread I crave. Good warm flour tortillas are a close second. Then comes white rice because I don't miss or crave it as much. Brown basmati or brown rice in sushi are still supper tasty while also being good for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment