Another year, another chance to focus my thoughts and vague desires into some concrete goals. Sure there's absolutely no consequence for not meeting them, but that's the only way I might reach them. If there was any pressure, I'd buckle immediately and start plotting my internal revolt.
1) Knit a sweater and socks for myself. 2006 became the year I rediscovered knitting and it was glorious. I finished some of my projects and amassed plenty of yarn for future ones. I did complete a sweater, but it was mostly a learning experience about gauge and construction. Knitting has become the way I work on patience and balance in my life. I find that I can channel my anxiety into the work, that I can quiet my restless mind. I really am an instant gratification girl. Thus the beauty of knitting projects. Some are fast, like hats or baby booties. Just about when I figure out what I'm doing, it's done. Sweaters take time, but there are still little thrills of finishing a sleeve or attaching said sleeve or working a neckline, plus the final thrill when it's done. I have to learn to enjoy the process, not just the outcome, and knitting is my path to understanding.
2) Stop using my credit cards. I know talking about money is boring and divisive, so I won't elaborate much. Living in a cash-only world is doable for me, I just have to ween myself off the rush of purchasing (see above about impatience and need for instant gratification).
3) Keep up with good eating habits. Oh food, how wonderful and annoying you are. I still don't eat enough fruit or vegetables. Fiber should be more important. Why do I still eat so much sugar and saturated fat? Because cheese rules, so does baking with butter. Mmm butter. For this year, I'm hoping to remind myself to eat some fruit every day. I like it, I just don't think to eat it. Same goes with breakfast, make time for it. Cooking needs to stay important even when life gets hectic. I find it creative and need to make it a priority. Also key is adding flax and fish oils. I have become a supplement nut like my father. I realized this over the holiday and then I cried a little bit. I suppose it goes along with his high cholesterol legacy. Thanks Dad!
4) Keep up with the exercise and try to do more. My walks have been disrupted a bit by the move to St. Paul, but I am figuring out some new routes. Also, the river dog park is now the closest and easiest to get to in heavy traffic. It definately offers more hills and varied turf than the airport park.
5) Have more TV-free nights. We got rid of the digital recorder when we moved so I had to remember how to set my VCR again. Luckily I still have all my blank video tapes from the dark ages. The shows I keep up with aren't so many, so I've got the machine set and don't have to watch except Monday night I think. Yet I still plonk down with my knitting almost every night. So hopefully this year I'll remember that I can do other things in the evening.
6) Post more pictures. I have realized my problem is no longer taking pictures, but instead the timely posting of them. My home computer gets no love because we have no internet at home (scandalous I know!) but all I have to do is put them on a disk or my jump drive and take them to work, work of the T1 connection of aweomseness. Perhaps I will find the time to do this if I work on the TV issue above.
7) Make it to New York City for next new years eve. Plans were hatched to visit Laurie and Rick to ring in 2008. Since Laurie and Rick will be there for less time than Erin & Scott will be in Davis, NYC wins the non-family travelling destination for 2007. I've never been there so I have the whole year to read about the city, to choose which musuems I have to see and to come up with a short list of bakeries, delis and yarn stores that I can't miss. Woo!
You may notice there are no baby related goals listed above. That's because I wanted this list to be about me, not my reproductive system. Here's hoping for a baby in 2007. It's in the works, but that's as specific as I can be presently. If plans actually take shape, I'm sure I'll go on and on about it here.
No comments:
Post a Comment