04 December 2006

coffee

Recently I was looking around for a new beaker for our French press coffee maker. It broke a few weeks ago and since then I've been winging it. I put the coffee in a measuring cup, I pour in the hot water, I stir and let sit, then I strain and drink. Practically the same our a press pot, just without the pressing. However, I discovered a bit of info on the internet about how drinking unfiltered coffee could be raising my cholesterol. Weird and probably not good for me since I already have high cholesterol. Boo, hiss on cholesterol by the way.

I didn't chose a press pot because I think it tastes better. I have a remarkably insensitive palate when it comes to beverages. I'm more of a "yum coffee" or "yum red wine" kind of woman. We chose it because we never have enough counterspace for things like drip coffee makers, and it's easy to clean. The drip machines require filters and routine cleanings so they don't get all gunked up. As it is, I don't know where we are even going to put our toaster oven.

As an aside, the one thing that might lure me someday to suburbia might be counterspace. Dear gods, some days I think I could live in a cookie cutter house with barely any trees on a twisty turn street named Oak Leaf Lane for a kitchen with counterspace.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Ok, that's probably a valid point. I guess when I sit at brunch and drink cup after cup, that's brewed coffee. Weird to think about though, that coffee oils could be that significant.

Anonymous said...

If you have a Bodum coffee press, you can just order a replacement glass from the Bodum USA website/store. Also, they have plastic unbreakable presses which for people like me is an absolute necessity.

Laura said...

I checked out their site, but realized Shannon had thrown out the handle when the glass broke.

We decided instead to sign up with Gevalia to get a machine and some coffee for $15. Then I'll just cancel the subscription. A little sneaky, but awesome too.