When I began thinking about wanting to get pregnant and have a kid, I started reading. I requested all the alternative or queer parenting or pregnancy books the Albuquerque library had. After reading Breeder, I dove into memoirs. This was how I found Anne Lamott. I bring this up because I just began Travelling Mercies and it's making me tear up on the bus. What am I doing reading a book about faith? I am willing to read anything she writes, that's what.
I am starting to understand on a more visceral level why someone might believe in religion, how that path might make sense to them in this insane world. It's like the more I live and experience, the more I can pull back and not feel so threatened by others' choices or even their judgements of me. Faith and religion still make me a bit squidgy inside, so wisdom and self-awareness made more sense to me. Here is Lamott talking about it all articulately with humor and wisdom and a love of Jesus. It's strange, especially because she's so open about it and politically liberal. Her writing breaks down all my knee-jerk cynicism and brings all my frustration about wanting and waiting for children back. I keep reading but it's churning me up inside.
5 comments:
Add Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert to your list. I, too, love Anne Lamott. I just bought Operating Instructions and Traveling Mercies is next. Gilbert's style is great, the subject matter is wonderful, and I love the way the book is organized.
Thanks for the suggestion :)
I have never met anyone who's read Traveling Mercies before. When you're done, let's talk, ok? I love, love, love that book. Operating Instructions too was one of my favorites. I just love Anne Lamott.
Sorry, I didn't even finish your post before I left that comment. I got too excited!
I loved the image of God as a cat, that no matter how bad things got for Anne, he was always following her around, quietly waiting. Since I've read that, I can't get that image out of my head. I too have trouble with men/women trying to control others under the guise of "religion" yet in my heart I truly believe in God. It's a difficult place to be sometimes.
Seriously, email me when you're finished.
I haven't read Traveling Mercies, but I *loved* Operating Instructions. It made me feel kind of understood.
Post a Comment