15 May 2006

small talk: weekend review

This weekend was Shannon's official summer start. She had absolutely nothing to do on Saturday except hang out with me. We went to the Minnesota Shepherd's Harvest Sheep and Wool Festival. The weather was damp and chilly, but we had fun looking at yarn and sheep and border collies. I brought the camera but wasn't really inspired to take any pictures. We got home and Shannon took the dogs out to the river dogpark. I'm pretty sure we spent the rest of the day lounging around the house, watching tv and napping. I made peanut butter cookies. The whole day just stretched on luxuriously. We both took the dogs out for their final walk. I always forget how nice it is to talk and walk under the moon and stars.

Sunday, though, was a return to form for Shannon. She volunteered in the morning and then had to go into to school to begin the summer research project, well her part of it. She had to be there by 11am and thought she'd be done around 5ish. Thus we grabbed some food as I drove her in with the dogs. Dogs and I headed over to the St. Paul dog park and then to a SuperTarget to get food and sundry items. Once back home with dirty snoozing dogs, I made oatmeal cookies. I was on a cookie making jag.

I didn't know what I was going to make for dinner because I was feeling very uninspired by food. Shopping for groceries, aka planning some meals for the week, left me feeling bored and annoyed that I had to feed myself again for another week. However, as I waited for Shannon to call to pick her up, I thought I'd make the greek salad since I thought I could manage to chop and toss. I debated between garbanzo beans or chicken to boost the flavor and nutrition until I decided to go with both. I added to a lemon garlic vinagrette Shannon had made earlier in the week with more of the same plus lots of feta. Tossed in the beans out of the can and some chicken I poached and left to marinate. Chopped some veggies and lettuce and waited for Shannon to call. She ended up calling to say it was going to be later than we thought, so I ate myself some yummy salad. She didn't call for a ride until 11pm. I brought salad because she hadn't eaten for 12 hours.

I think her schedule is going to be wacky like this all summer. Long stretches in the lab when she's needed by the professor but without much notice. I think this is going to be great though because, aside from this research, she has no other responsibilites or set schedule. We are planning lots of fun day trips and excursions, lots of movies and musuems. We are going to check out the suburban/rural dog parks in the area as well as some of the nearby parks and towns. She can work more at the co-op if she wants or less if she needs more sleeping in. She can be lazy all day with the dogs. I will probably be jealous of all her sleeping in and may have to take a day off here and there.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Sure!