16 March 2006

small talk: weather

Monday we got around 9 inches of snow. Looking down my street, I couldn't see past the end of my block. The buses were crashing into stop signs, and I did not go into work. Shannon made it to the St. Paul campus three hours after she left our house. It was hectic, all this snow overnight. Last night we got another four inches with more predicted throughout today. But the buses were on top of it, so I got to work in normal time. Seeing as how I've only been in to work on two days and I've got Friday off, I thought it would of been indulgent of me to stay home for four inches of snow.

But anyway, I wanted to talk about snow, glorious snow. I think it's the nicest form of precipitation. Big fluffy flakes, drifts pile up, trees become caked. This snow has been wet and heavy. Before this week, the temps had been getting milder and milder. It was pissing me off; I was not ready for spring. Mentally, I just do not want things springing anew right now. March, April and May are spring for lots of the United States. But up here, they are mostly still winter. March snow is not unusual. As crazy as it seems, I'd have to say the weather is one of the reasons why I'm ok being here for another three years. It's unpredictable and intense up here.

Ooh, how the dogs love it, Birdie especially. At the park as I'm trudging through the knee high drifts, they are bounding and bouncing. Birdie digs around with her snout, sniffing and pushing the snow. She's smelling something, pause, and then freak out running and scooting with crazy eyes. Max is bouncy too, but gets tired faster. Plus he has to stop and ask me to help him pull the ice balls out between his toes. He sits all cute and hold his paw up to me. Then he has to eat his toe ice balls.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

What is it with dogs and snow? Frodo goes batshit crazy if there is the slightest bit on the ground. It's too bad for her that her owners are big babies when it's cold and like to stay inside.

Anonymous said...

Kye is funny in the snow. We went to the park today - me with my snowshoes and he with his paws. I could run in the snow like crazy, but he would always break through the crust, unable to keep up.

I'm with you on the happiness this snow has given me. I'm not ready for the two months of super soggy ground. White precipitation is almost always better than clear, except maybe in the summer during thunderstorms.