I've been writing and editing posts about love since last week. I feel like I have something to say about being in love, having a partner, being together for 7+ years, how great she is, something about it all. But instead of a post, I've got a lot of drafts.
I have been thinking about love and my relationship because we have been thinking about travelling up to Canada and getting married there. Once Shannon is done with vet school, she'll be looking at jobs on either coast and including Canada. If we were already legally married, moving there for a job would just go that much smoother. (Well I think, I haven't done that much research yet, aside from looking at their immigration page).
This possibly-getting-married thing has me thinking about what I'd say in the ceremony. I don't know what we'd do, but I know I'll want to write something. I don't have to encapuslate our entire relationship or make any promises. My vows might not be very literal, but I want to tell her something of how great sharing our lives has been. But the topic is too overwhelming. How do I speak honestly and not sound like a cliche? What is the right balance of silly cheesiness and heartfelt?
3 comments:
I love this. My partner Isadora and I were lucky enough to get legally married in Massachusetts in 2004. We both panicked when we wrote our vows (I'll let you guess who was working on them until 8 seconds before) but we ended up having so much fun. We both cried all the way through when we read them.
We were together 4 years when we got married and still it was such an amazing new thing to do together. I hope you and Shannon get a chance to experience it.
I saw the picture that you posted from that day, when you and your partner are up on the chairs. You both looked so happy. Being celebrated like that makes me feel so embarassed just thinking about it, but I think that's because I can already imagine how I'd be crying the whole day.
Come on up here, the weather's fine! And if you decide to get married in Vancouver and need some witnesses, my wife and I would be happy to oblige. :-)
Post a Comment