20 February 2006

dinner party update

I ended up making a cake for the dinner party, a walnut cardamom sponge cake with a sour cream raspberry filling covered with chocolate ganache. The cake didn't turn out quite so well. It was less spongy than I hoped, but the flavors went together well. Or maybe the ganache made everything taste good in the end who knows?

The dinner party itself was a bit awkward with excellent food but kind of halting discussion. My former coworkers' baby is awesome, nine months old and very inquisitive. He just stared and stared at everyone. He let me pick him up and cart around, showed off his awesome catalogue ripping technique and created a very stinky diaper. Once he was put to bed however, we were left to talking. None of us were horribly social inept, just kind of at a loss to find topics to talk about. I now owe Shannon an obligatory attendance to a function of her choice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, the cake sounds good. As for the absence of baby halting the conversation, that seems to happen when we're with Christer's family sometimes. Babies are better entertainment than TV.

Laura said...

Like watching waves in the ocean or a fire burn or the sun setting. Dogs or babies/kids playing can also be very entertaining. Being in the kitchen while someone else is cooking. Shannon seems to find endless amazement watching me knit. However, I do not enjoy watching her study.