17 February 2006

tasty

If you'll look over to the right, you'll see I'm reading Julie and Julia about one woman's attempt to make all the recipes in Mastering the Art of French Cooking in one year. So far it's fascinating with its mix of Julie's point of view, the recipes themselves and her perspective about blogging it. So far I'm a bit impressed by how Julie has come to find liver sexy, how many aspics she actually made and tried, and her ability to flip a crepe.

Food is on my brain, as well, because a former coworker is having a dinner party on Saturday, and I'm bringing dessert. I tend to wait until the last minute to decide on a recipe because who knows what I'll be in the mood to make tomorrow afternoon. Will I have slept in and feel slow and lazy and thus want to make something simple like a trifle or mousse? Will I wake up early and energized, ready to tackle a more challenging recipe? Maybe I'll do some fabulous prep tonight like make pie crust or do my shopping. I suppose it's possible provided I tackle the dishes first.

Friday nights tend to be dictated by the week. A hectic week finds me a zombie on Friday night, having pizza and beer, staring blankly at the TV until I pass out on the couch at like 8:30. Occasionally Shannon and I will go to the discount theater for a movie or spend a few hours in a bookstore. It becomes the ultimate goof-off night when she can't stand the thought of studying anymore. I am nothing if not a willing partner in crime, luring her away from the books.

4 comments:

Melinda said...

"Julie and Julia" kind of blew my mind. I read it right before we moved from Boston to Chicago -- I was feeling all nervous and lost and the book was exactly what I needed. I think what I liked best about it was the idea that all it takes to be happy, or maybe to be fulfilled, is to find something you can do with passion -- even if that something is cooking fatty food and then composing snarky write-ups about it.
I've since cooked beouf bourginon (or however you spell it). It took like a year. And just tasted like the beef stew I would make in my crock pot. But I did feel accomplished.

M. said...

I loved her blog, and was so sad when it ended that I've been putting off reading the book to make it last longer.
Another fun one along those lines: Ruth Reichl's Garlic and Sapphires.

Laura said...

Melinda - It's kind of blowing my mind too. I think I've gotten into knitting so much for a similar reason. I also identify a bit with having a long term relationship that started young.

Marisa - Hi Marisa! Thanks for reading and suggesting more books. I have read Ruth Reichl's books, beginning with her childhood with Tender at the bone and Comfort me with Apples. I'm a big fan of books that intersperse recipes and memoir.

Anonymous said...

My mom read that book and then did it. She loved doing it and decided to do another one - I think she's halfway through it now.