09 February 2006

it's just bowling after all...

Last night I bowled again with my work league (filling in for another player). Our defeat was total. We lost all three games, and the negativity level was high. I really don't care about winning the league trophy or about raising my average. I'm happy to get three digits every game. When I'm not driving myself home, I'm quite happy to enjoy a brew or two. But my team mates want to win and get very down when their bowling is average or poor. See, I don't even really believe I can control much when I bowl. I'm not very supersitious about it all. My windup is the same as it always is, yet every throw is slightly different. There's no controlling how it all comes together on a given night. Sure there is practice and skill, but I find that obsessing over the outcome is just too stressful. I don't see losing or bowling bad as any sort of reflection on me or my character. But bowling with people who hate on themselves when they get an 89 is not a fun night.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Laura! Yay, a new blog to read!

I just got back from a weekend visit with my family, all of whom are psycho for bowling. They bowl in leagues and go to tourneys each year. And today, over lunch, they watched a bowling competition on espn while we ate. Did I mention it was a repeat competition? From 10 years ago?

Laura said...

I can understand the leagues and maybe a tournament, but watching bowling on tv? When you aren't trying to nap? That's just crazy.

After my work bowling league, the gay league starts up. I'm not quite sure how to get on this league (cuz hey I like the bowling and the ladies), but seeing all the men in black leather while bowling always makes me happy.