My sister is definately coming to visit the 3rd weekend in April. My stepmom, her coworkers, Clare, Shannon and I are all eating together Friday night after they arrive and then we will whisk her away with us with the promise to return her to the airport on Sunday. She's 15 so this isn't really weird at all, spending time away from the parents, etc.
But, dude, she's 15, what on earth should we do on Saturday? Does she like musuems or zoos or gardens or sculpture parks? Will she want to cruise the big mall all day? I mean I really don't do much do I? I like to read. I make sure the dogs get some kind of exercise daily. I watch tv and movies. I sure do like to eat and drink. Hey! Maybe she'll want to bowl. I do enjoy bowling. But I'm not much of a shopper. I mean I am clearly so not cool it's like a tatoo on my forehead.
[Random side note: You know ironically as I feel anxious that I won't be interesting to her, and I'm thinking about what I do, I realize that I freaking love my life. Love my rhythms and niche I've carved out for myself. My house is cozy and a bit messy, filled with dogs and cats. We take care of ourselves pretty well, pay our bills, laugh and enjoy ourselves, have friends both in town and out. My sense of success got me thinking about my dad calling me and Blake failures. I guess it's all perspective isn't it.]
I'm feeling anxious about the whole thing, like how can I make myself seem marginally cool to this kid I barely know. I'd love to sit and talk to her about stuff, but how would I begin such a conversation with being pushy or speechy? Plus, a big conversation is kind of a minefield anyway. I'm pretty sure I trust her to keep any confidences, but maybe not. Maybe she'll blab everything I say to Anna and Wayne, who knows? Maybe I should just see if she has any ideas. Maybe I should email her beforehand, see if she does have any strong opinions or thoughts. I guess my anxiety stems from my indecision, like what if she expects me to have activities planned.
Shannon's family coming the weekend before with be anxiety filled itself. Not only because we want them to have fun and feel relaxed but also because that weekend most likely will be right around ovulation. We might have to do an insemination with house guests which is just so weird. Those two weekends might be riddled with anxiety. But at least the house guest anxiety might overwhelm the babymaking anxiety, that would be nice.