29 July 2003

LJ:

Last night was my knife skills pre-test. The real test will be the mid-term but this was structured exactly how it will be then. We had 30 mins to make 2 kinds of chop, 2 kinds of julienne, 2 other cuts, 4 tourned potatoes, sliced and diced onion and minced garlic. I did fairly well. Then I got to make cream of mushroom soup and shellfish stock.

I also discovered that I can either get my associates degree with a concentration in baking now or I can get it in cooking and tack on a baking certificate after I'm done. I'm inclined to want to get the degree with the baking all at once, rather than to pay for more schooling but I'm unsure. I think I like baking much more than cooking, but I don't know. Do I want to work on a line in a restaurant or as the pastry chef? Do I want to be a wedding caterer or do I want to make the wedding cake? I shall ponder...