23 July 2003

LJ:

I found out that I hung out with Chris on Monday, not James.

Tuesday went well. I was in the group with Tony but he just went off and did his own thing. He did the beef broth primarily by himself while the rest of us did the consomme and more stock. Consomme is a very grossly made dish. You grind the meat, mix it with egg whites, mirepoix and some kind of acid. You chill this stuff and you chill the stock. Mix it all together, slowly bring it to a simmer. Then you let the ground stuff rise to the top and form a raft. It supposedly pulls out all the impurities and you drain the consomme off without disturbing it. But let me tell you it looks gross. It's a big floating disk of ground beef (in our case) with gunk in it and simmer bubbles escaping through the little hole you make in the middle. Not pretty. But our consomme had good body, clarity and flavor. Plus we rocked the fat removal. woohoo!

There was no Megan in class but Chef seemed to know about it so she must have called. Hope she's ok.

My mom called me at work yesterday *twice* but I didn't answer. I haven't even picked up her message yet. I'm a wussy. I'm just so busy I don't know if I can handle my mom right now. I've got to do my articles for Nutrition either today or tomorrow. I've got more articles to summarize for Safety for Monday and a bunch of terms to define for next Wednesday. Shannon and I are going to go out on a date on Friday though.