02 March 2009

low weekend

Due to teething and double ear infections, this weekend with PJ was tough. She was cranky at daycare Friday afternoon when I picked her up, clingy, full of tears when facing any frustrations. By bath time, she was burning up. Shannon was on call and at school with a colic, so I gave her some pain killers and put her to bed (urgent care could wait until Saturday). The diarrhea was completely gone so of course the poor pumpkin got an ear infection. Plus, she's got like 6-8 teeth coming in all at once. She wants to nurse and nurse and nurse. Even that doesn't do it sometimes and then there is wailing. She is inconsolable sometimes. I feel useless. She hates the antibiotics we are giving her thrice daily. We are keeping up pain killers and using some of those homeopathic teething tablets. We are all trying to get as much sleep as we can. Still I felt very incompetent this weekend, very unsure of what I was doing. I've got to schedule an ear recheck in about a week. We'll be getting a referral to an ear, nose and throat specialist for PJ's ears. I feel guilty for passing on my messed up ears. I've got to give myself a break, but this weekend was just hard and I worry.

Shannon's long hours are really impacting dinner in our house. I don't have time to cook before PJ's down for bed. I think I'll make something afterwards, but then I find myself super unmotivated once I have a minute to myself. Plus, I'm tired of sandwiches, my last resort meal. Therefore, I'm turning to the crockpot. Beef stew is on the menu, plus some chicken and rice. We are aiming for a balance of protein, veggies and starch all in one dish. Plus leftovers because I can't think about lunches either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uhg. Weekends seem tough on our kid too... something about getting out of routines, or because my expectations for relaxation are too high when Christer's home, and then I get frustrated when I still end up spending a lot of time with a fussy baby. Today seemed easier than the weekend, as we just hung out at home. I caught up on taxes and Toby caught up on sleep.

Crock pots are good for easy meals, but so is ordering a pizza... sounds like you deserve it!

georgia said...

it's so hard when they're sick :(.

for her ears you might want to try nursing her in a more upright position. and there is also a way to massage the eustatian tubes to help them drain better. right below her earlobe you can rub very gently with downward strokes toward her collar bone. maybe the ENT will show you how to do it? my midwife showed us that trick.