13 August 2008

week 27

I'm a little late writing about last week because of the second parent adoption hearing, Marlys' visit & Shannon's trip to Bend, Oregon. I'm back to solo parenting for another 2 weeks. Shannon's on externship 2 of 3 so we are halfway done with the travelling, hallelujah!

I think the biggest change in PJ last week was how she wants to push off and away from being held more and more. It's like she doesn't want to cuddle as much as she wants to be set down in front of a big pile of toys to play with or paper to eat. She is also bouncing and rocking more. When you put her down on her tummy, half the time she'll pull her knees up to be in a modified crawl position and then sort of sway and bounce. She'll stay like that until she gets tired, then flop on her belly and then roll on her back. Motility was her word this week; she is ready to move and do. I've started doing airplane with her and more bouncing and kicking. All for the laughs and grins really, plus I do think she doesn't quite know what to do with all her energy.

Marlys came up on Thursday and we had the court hearing on Friday. Shannon and I were extremely ambitious (for us) and threw a party Friday to celebrate. So Friday we were cleaning, cooking, hanging out with Marlys and trying to give PJ as much time for naps as possible before the afternoon hearing. It was a bit crazy, but by 5pm or so when people starting arriving, it was lovely. We had a great cross-section of all our friends, classmates and coworkers show up. Everyone was so happy for our legal family unit and to see how big PJ had grown.

I didn't realize how much more calm I feel on a really fundamental level now that PJ has two legal parents. I don't have to worry about accidents or money or health insurance as much anymore. No one can question or challenge Shannon's right to her daughter. It's awesome!

I have also started a very ambitious project for Erin's wedding next month, a shawl. It's the Juno Regina Stole from Knitty and it's in the Icehouse colorway, light and dark blues with a bit of a green. I consulted with Katie for knitting and lace advice seeing as how this is my first lace project. I wound the yarn Sunday night and cast on Monday. I thought sock yarn was thin! The yarn is 50-50 wool and silk so it will not be too hot but will offer some warmth. It's smooth and nice to work with. So far, I've made a minor mistake or two, but I hope it will add to the charm. Plus it's a metaphor for marriage itself, not always perfect, but loveable nonetheless, right? That's my story anyway...

No comments: