28 July 2008

week 25 + the return of Shannon

The weekend in between the two weeks with my mother was the hardest part of her visit. We went to the zoo and Cosetta's. We got the digital tuner and bought diapers and a new car seat, one that will hopefully work for a few years. I just needed a break from her but she never wanted to leave me and the baby alone. I would try to encourage her to go to the public library to use the internet but she didn't want to while PJ was up and then was too tired while PJ was asleep. Plus it was humid. I have so much less tolerance for everything when it's humid.

PJ continues to be disgusted by solid foods, but loves to touch and feel things. Everyday household items are now amazing and will occupy her for minutes. Paper bags, plastic silverwear, a piece of shredded wheat, all fascinating and end up no where near her mouth. Just in her hands as her little fingers are busy busy feeling and touching. She'll have babbling days where she just talks and talks and then quiet days. I haven't been able to get her to laugh in awhile and it's depressing me. I miss her baby laughter. She's still making lovely zerbert sounds whenever the mood strikes her. When she wants to nurse now and I hold her in my lap, she just face plants on my chest. Still no teeth on the horizon. Also, little real rolling over. On the plus side, though, sleeping larger chunks at night has resumed and it's lovely. Sure maybe only 3-4 hours, but man those are a wonderful 3-4 hours for everyone. Now I just need to try to go to sleep earlier.

Two weeks ended up being a good trip length for my mom. Long enough that she wasn't super weepy when she left like she has been in the past. I think she didn't want to leave, but was also happy to be returning to her house and husband.

Saturday after she left around 8:30am, I walked back into my empty house and realized that it was 12 hours until we needed to leave to go pick up Shannon from the airport. What a long day Saturday was just waiting until she flew in. I packed up the car and took the crazy dogs to the river dogpark. PJ didn't want to take her morning nap, but walking around the park in the sling wore down her resolve. She slept about 45 min and the dogs got some of their crazy out.

Once back home, we did some laundry, PJ played while I watched some tv. I ate and putzed around all day, so anxious to see Shannon. PJ went to bed a bit early since I was going to wake her up at 8:30 to go to the airport. She was a trooper and Shannon was so excited to see her. I got PJ back to sleep and then Shannon and I stayed up way too late talking. Sunday we went out to brunch and were very low key. I left my girls to go to the store for a few hours and it was lovely. We got to see our old friend Tami during an airport layover and introduce her to our daughter. We brought food and a blanket and had an airport baggage claim picnic. It didn't even mess up PJ sleep having a later bedtime, so double woo!

Can you believe PJ is going to be 6 months old this Friday? I am astounded...
23-07-08_1737.jpg

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww!

Matt said...

alright, i am hereby intensifying my resolve to stop by sometime soon. well, i will call, rather than show up unannounced. but, nonetheless, i am coming to see what is fast becoming a non-baby.

frog said...

Cosetta's! THAT makes me miss the Cities.