PJ began her new daycare this week and it went swimmingly. She's eating and sleeping better than at the center. Both Shannon and I realized how wonderful it is to feel good about where she is all day and to trust that she's getting lots of attention and love. We are going to take a bit of a break and then start looking for care for the fall.
On the cusp of PJ being four months old, she is so different than when we brought her home. She's grabbing at stuffed animals, teethers, what you are eating, anything within her reach. Most of these objects go right in her mouth. Does this mean she's teething? I don't know. There's still lots of drool, but that's been constant for weeks now. I think her gums feel a bit different but Shannon disagrees. I suppose only time will tell.
When she is tired, nursing no longer always works in calming her down and lulling her to sleep. Now, she will fuss and cry and resist every calming technique that used to work. It's not much fun and often makes me feel incompetent. She needs to figure out a way to relax. I'd prefer if she would suck her thumb, but she seems to favor the aforementioned crying. It's not for very long, but it's still hard. Plus, this week was kind of hit or miss for staying asleep. She might cry out after 45 minutes or so and need to be held for a few minutes. Or she might stay asleep for the good 5-6 hours like before, you never know.
We have been spending more time out on our back deck now that we got some nice chairs. PJ and Max, one of our dogs, enjoyed the bubbles this morning. Plus the trees and the wind chimes fascinate PJ. A few weeks ago, Shannon and I ate dinner out there while the baby slept. Our monitor works out there and it's nice to be listening for her, but to feel separate.
June is going to be a hard month. Shannon's got a lameness rotation and then a general large animal medicine rotation so her hours are going to start to be longer and more regular. I don't mind being solo parent so much, but less/no chores get done and I get a little strung out when PJ's not sleeping well. I think Shannon and I are doing ok, having some squabbles, but trying still. We try to see each other's point of view, but we still have really different communication styles. We are still figuring out how to parent together.
No comments:
Post a Comment