03 December 2007

I realized part of my problem of not reading is due to my problem of not going to the library to pick up the books I requested. Instead of heading there straight after work, I go home first and then become sidetracked by the couch. It was bad when daylight savings ended because, although the library is open until 9pm, once it got dark, I couldn't rouse myself from said couch. Once the wind chill dipped down into the negatives, I seem to bury deeper and deeper in said couch. But the final reason to never leave home in the evenings? The first snow we got this weekend. I just want to hunker down and cook and bake and go to sleep early.

Of course after I write that, I have all these social things to write about. Last week Shannon and I both put aside our homebody tendencies to attend not only a class on breastfeeding (woo boobs!) but also to go to a local queer parenting potluck as well as see a concert (woo Tegan and Sara!). We were social machines and it wore me out. Sunday I did the barest minimum of laundry and made dinner, but other than that, I was a total slacker all day.

The social events were nice though. The breastfeeding class on Wednesday offered useful information and the chance to oogle other pregnant women. We were all different sizes and shapes. I need to get a breast pump for when I go back to work so I can either buy one (for about $200-300 and hope it works well for me) or I can rent one ($60/month but much larger, louder and less portable for work). I'm still mulling it over. We also watched a video with lots of boobs and babies in it. Breastfeeding is going to be a little weird but hopefully good and all that, but I can't imagine I'd want to let someone film me while I did it. Kudos to those women on the video but I am not that bold.

The concert on Friday was lovely although a little quick. We skipped the opening act because we are lazy. It was the second concert for the baby in utero (although the first one, Brandi Carlile, was during the two week wait. I doubt the blastocyst could hear much). I wonder what it thought of all the bass and cheering. It was in a nice theater in downtown Minneapolis (The Pantages) so we had assigned seats. All the young kids ran up to the stage, but being the old fogies we are, we stayed in our seats and even sat for a bit. I blamed the pregnancy, but maybe it was just being older. I also noticed how much I've begun the whole rest-your-hand-on-your-belly thing that pregnant woman do. It's now in full force.

Saturday was the potluck. We were the only pregnant folks there; the rest had babies or toddlers. The kids ran all over the place while the adults ate and chatted. We brought a platter of fruit and were sociable for like 2 whole hours. There were some very cute kids and nice parents as well as some more so-so families. I don't think we embarassed ourselves and hopefully we'll keep going. It's only once a month after all.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

But you've got a 3rd option -- you can borrow a pump! I've got a Medela Pump In Style that's yours for the using if you want it. I loaned it out to Jenn but she ended up getting one free from her hospital (I know!!) so I've got it back again. You would just need to buy your own attachments. Email me if you want to borrow it and I'll send it out.

Laura said...

Oh Melinda! You are too sweet! That would be awesome of you (off to email)