29 May 2007

Shannon's taking off for about three weeks in Morocco this morning. While I'm very excited for her, I'm also a little down thinking about how much I'll miss her. She's still the sweetest, warmest, silliest person I know. Not being able to talk to her about my day, feel her arms around me when I get home, or watch her playing with the dogs will make my days a bit less bright and shiny. Plus I really hope the experience is a good one, that Casablanca and Fez are amazing and not too scary, that the vet clinic turns out to be dynamic and welcoming despite the language barriers.

When we were back in Colfax (again) for her cousin's high school graduation this weekend, we told her mom, her dad, her aunt and (another different) cousin about the pregnancy. They were so supportive and excited, it was awesome! Well her dad was a bit surprised I think. He was the only one of the group who didn't know we were even trying. Shannon and her father are not very close, but hopefully he just needs some time to adjust.

In terms of my family, I haven't told anyone yet. I'm dragging my feet a little bit because telling my mom about the pregnancy will be intense, but having to tell her about a miscarriage will be a million times more intense. So I want to wait a bit for her because she's going to completely lose her shit. As soon as we told her in 2004 that having a baby was on our agenda, she's asked almost every single call if we are pregnant. My father is most likely going to be very surprised just like Shannon's was because I don't think he knows it's been in the works. I hope he's nice and not too jokey about it.

We did get the pregnancy confirmed at my clinic on Friday before we left town. Part of me was a bit concerned their lab results would not corroborate our home test results, that they would have to gently break the news to me that I was looney-tunes or something. But no, it was good news, lots of clinic congratulations, which was more sweet than I expected. I'll be 5 weeks on Wednesday. Now I've got to decide if I'm going to switch practioners, as in OB/GYN or midwives. My first prenatal appointment (once I decide) will be in about four weeks, once Shannon returns.

My symptoms have been mild so far, the worst being that I have to pee like every 2-3 hours now. It's quite a big change for me. I even wake up in the middle of the night having to pee which normally is very rare. On the four hour drive to Colfax, I needed to stop to pee before Shannon, a first that caused her to tease me the whole time.

5 comments:

Laurie K said...

woo! You pee-er you! Tell Shannon to have a good trip.

bethc said...

Many many congratulations! In my experience the frequent peeing gets better, and then way worse!

Melinda said...

Yay for confirmation!

Do you want me to send any of my pregnancy books? They range from crunchy to Written By The Man.

Laura said...

Melinda, you can send any books you really liked. I have some out from the library, but I can never have enough books.

Cetta said...

Congratulations! How exciting for you guys!