My mother's house when I was growing up was very pro-yogurt. It fit in with her hippy food aspirations. She grew her own sprouts and participated in a neighborhood food coop. I remember square glass jars as big as my head with natural peanut butter with great fondness. There was homemade bread still warm with honey. My mother even had her own yogurt making equipment although I can't say how much she used it. Once I began cooking on my own, I definately saw the merit of having a container of plain yogurt on hand. Good for smoothies and as a subsitute for sour cream or buttermilk in recipes.
My real yogurt awakening wasn't until I spent a semester in France. Small containers of amazing plain yogurt was available everywhere. I got very quickly acclimated to a yogurt with a packet of sugar as a mid-afternoon snack. It was a nice counterpoint to all the bread and cheese I could not stop eating. (I also discovered Camembert cheese there, a love affair that continues).
So I already knew how amazing yogurt could be when I discovered greek yogurt, specifically Fage Total. Oh how naive I was! Greek yogurt has got to be the most heavenly concoction ever. Without any whipping or additives, plain yogurt becomes mousse like, rich beyond belief, almost like ice cream that is not frozen. The one with a sidecar of premium, pure honey became the most virtuous dessert. Go probiotics! You've never tasted so good.
This weekend I reached out to a new brand, Liberté Méditerranée yogurt. If I ever needed another reason to love the Canadians, this yogurt is it. Just as rich and amazing as the Fage but with the loveliest bit of fruit at the bottom. I had berry, Shannon had the passionfruit peach.
If you love yogurt at all and haven't tried either of these brands, get thee to a fancy food store or coop pronto!
2 comments:
Ack! Your blog disappeared from my bloglines, leaving me Lauraless for a few weeks. I am ashamed to admit that I just now realized it was gone. But now that I'm back it's fun to see your knitting pictures--the geese hat is amazing! And the Laurie and Rick pictures are fun, too.
I will need to take your advice about Greek yogurt. Last summer I learned the wonderfulness of Mexican sour cream--less sour and so yummy.
I think Melinda had a similar issue with bloglines but I have no idea why.
I have never tried Mexican sour cream. I should get on that, and Mexican cheeses while I'm at it.
Post a Comment