09 July 2003

I don't think I ever wrote about my reception thingy at culinary school. It was last wednesday, right before I took off for Iowa. It was about 2 hours and I thought it would be like an info session. Turns out it was a four course meal! They were all impressing us with their amuse bouche and quail and sauces. The food was quite good and I met a couple other students at my table. We were the singles table I guess because none of us brought anyone along. I was the oldest there and the only girl at my table. Looked like there were a few other girls in the program, but I think there will be a majority of boys.

I was also one of the few folks who weren't currently working in a kitchen. I really got to thinking about getting some experience while I'm in the program. So I think I'll check out the career services office after a few quarters.

Tonight I have to go and pick up some materials, get a photo ID, and tie up any loose strings. I'm getting so excited/terrified. This Saturday is my orientation. Ack!

I read all the entries about culinary school from this woman's journal http://www.grubreport.com She's a reviewer at TWOP and from Minnesota. Her culinary school sounds a little bit more intensive and posh than mine. I hope I get to learn about the regions of Italy, the stages of sugar, and all the amazing things she writes about.

I also keep returning to Sars website http://www.tomatonation.com TWOP was the start of my computer/internet renaissance, so naturally that's where she's from too. Her essays and conversations seriously make me laugh out loud at work which isn't very sly of me now is it. Her feminist stuff is completely awesome so that's a bonus.

Random weather note: It's been so cool here due to the rain/immient threat of rain that I've worn a long sleeve shirt two days in a row! In July! Miraculous...