19 November 2006

eastwards

The first apartment was average to bad with the saddest looking bathroom I've seen in awhile. The second one, owned by our current landlord, ended up being quirky and great. It's a couple of rooms on the second floor of an old house plus the renovated attic. There are two decks, a small dishwasher, a portable washer that you move into the kitchen and a dryer. The applicances are potentially awsome but I'm not getting my hopes up quite yet. There are lots of buses nearby and even a park. But the real benefit is that it's owned by the same guy. We get most of December to move in without having pay double rent, plus he'll just transfer our deposit over. Next step is signing the new lease and getting the keys. Then the arduous process of moving everything we own will begin.

I love new spaces and decorating but I do hate the carrying of possessions, especially up to the second and third floor of a house. We've been in the Twin Cities since 2001 and this will be our fifth apartment, our first in St. Paul though. This sounds like a lot doesn't it? Five places in five years, but it works for us. It's hard to find the right combo of space, layout and location, but it's also hard to know what we want in a living space. Having dogs and cats is an obstacle. Needing to be near bus lines and stores in case we don't have a car again isn't easy either. Mainly though we've wanted to stay in the city. Every place has had it's good and bad points, and I think this place will be similar. Hopefully we'll stay here until Shannon graduates, but you know what they say about famous last words.

No comments: