03 October 2006

Shannon is able to attend the American Association of Equine Practioners (AAEP)'s annual convention in San Antonio in December this year as a student member. She's very excited to perhaps narrow down some choices for internship or externships or maybe they're called preceptorships, I'm not sure anymore, for her 3rd year or this summer too I guess. Last year she grabbed a bunch of materials and brought them home, but never looked at them. Now they are scattered all over the house as she finally checks them out. This clinic in Snohomish, WA is currently filling her heart with glee.

The pacific northwest has been her dream for awhile now. I'm holding out hope for Canada, so much so that I don't know if I'd want to live in Washington state. To be only hours away from a country that is so inclusive and cities (Vancouver, Victoria) that are so awesome, but not to live there, would drive me nuts I think. I feel like if we move to either coast, but don't live in a state with somewhat decent gay rights, it'll be worse than staying in the midwest. Why not push for the places with legal marriage/partnership? It seems important to make use of the few gay rights our country offers its citizens or to leave for another country all together.

All of this assumes that she'll get the internship opportunities and woo them with her mad doctoring skills, so that they all offer her jobs after graduation. So that we'll get to pick where we want to live, not just have to go with the only offer. Hopefully I'll have the chance to be picky about location.

No comments: