Last night I went to my first Twins game and sat in my first enclosed sports stadium. I'm not such a sports fan though, and it was super weird to be inside watching sports. There were no stars, no fireworks if the team won, no birds in the rafters. It felt a lot like being in the Mall of America, just with baseball.
The playing was good and engaging, though, and the people were a hoot. It was an old college friend's 30th birthday. She got everyone together and we sat in the nosebleed section in right field. Her girlfriend paid for a Happy Birthday message to flash on the big display during the fifth inning which was very sweet. There were dollar hot dogs and nachos and pretzels to eat. Afterwards we all headed back to the birthday girl's house for cake.
The only really exciting thing was two, most likely drunk, fans who ran out on the field in the eighth inning. They made fun of the security folks running after them, but then the Red Sox bat boy took one of them down. Then it was all over, but very amusing while it lasted.
3 comments:
Yay for baseball games! But yes, baseball inside sounds strange. Especially since a good 60% of why I go to games is to be outside. 20% is for the between-inning competitions they hold with little kids and 20% is for the game itself.
Today we heard that our rental office is renting out a suite at the Wizards game next week for all us apartment dwellers to visit. Since we usually sit in the voucher bleacher seats, this all sounds very exciting.
PS--there will be free yarn on my website tomorrow--I'm working on getting pictures of it together now...
They had a few competitions but they were kind of advertisements as well. Like one was if someone could throw a ball from the bleachers in the bed of "a beautiful 2006 Dodge Ram" blah blah blah. The biggest deal was that I didn't know who Kirby Puckett (sp?) was, and he was apparently the most beloved Twins player.
Box seats do sound exciting. Do you like the other people in the complex enough to sit by them?
Yeah free yarn and pictures!
Yeah, going to see baseball at the Metrodome is weird. While I can understand wanting to put a roof on it so it can be used during the winter, it's not a very fun experience. I think they should have made it like Lambeau Field. Green Bay is not colder than Minneapolis. There's a nice small open-air stadium in St. Paul where the St. Paul Saints play. It's a lot more fun and goofier than the Metrodome. I think their mascot is a pig.
Kirby Puckett! From back when the Twins were good!
Post a Comment