Some weekends I am a bit anti-social, like sitting in my pjs and not leaving my house all day long anti-social. This Saturday, however, Shannon and I were crazy social. We went to the grand opening of the new downtown library. I'm not sure about the actual turnout, but they expected 20,000 or so. The crowds were a bit overwhelming, but seeing everyone support the library was pretty awesome. The old library was demolished in 2003 (I think) and moved to a temporary facility. Even though we were here then, I don't remember it. The new building is gorgeous and airy. There are lots of tables and chairs and nooks. There are moveable stacks and self-check-in stations. I just wish I had more reason to need a place to sit and study. A planetarium is going to be on the roof, but it won't open until 2010. I am now a little bummed that we will be moving away in 2009. I think Matt went too, but we didn't see him there.
Next, thanks to my social coordinating, we met up with some friends for lunch. As if the day couldn't get any better, they mentioned that the Trader Joe's that had opened, wheee! I had totally forgotten about it coming here. So after lunch we headed over to check it out before Shannon had to go to work. It was crazy packed since this was the first weekend it was open. I was still so excited to walk amongst the aisles, dreaming of all the cheap food I was going to buy. They have a separate little alcohol store too since it cannot mingle with food here in Minnesota. I was worried I would be deprived of three buck Chuck. I now officially have a very compelling reason to visit St. Louis Park.
Sunday was a bit slower; we met up with A. and family for lunch. His baby is almost six months old now and still as delicious as ever. Hopefully we are going to baby-sit and hang out next Saturday. I realized that despite all my other knitting projects, I had nothing going for Baby K. Thus, I began a quick hat for him. Sure it's summer, but one can never have too many hats.
5 comments:
Yay libraries! Yay Trader's Joes! Get the goat cheese pizza, the tripple ginger snaps, and the cheese and chile tamales!
Hey, when you changed your blog all up, did you stop publishing an RSS feed? Because my "subscription" isn't showing any of your updates...
I don't know if I am publishing an RSS feed at all. Is that in my settings? I'll go check.
I found it and turned it back on because apparently I had turned it off. Which reader do you use?
Ah, that explains the 6 posts all at once today on bloglines. And yay for Trader Joe's! There is one in Indy, and I have been known to stock up on trips home from school. Especially frozen potstickers.
Mmmm, I forgot about the frozen potstickers. Have those with the frozen fried rice and the Trader Joe's hot and sour soup.
I use bloglines. And it's all fixed now. Many Laura posts all in one day. Yay!
Post a Comment