02 August 2005

old post: layover visit

Sunday Shannon and I went to the airport to meet up with our friend Tami from New Mexico while she and her partner Katie had a 2.5 hour layover. We'd never met Katie before and, since we are unable to make their commitment ceremony this September, we were happy to get a chance to. We parked at the big mall and took the light rail over to the airport, our first time on the light rail incidentally. Reminded me how much I love subways, metros, light rails. They are fun with their little ticket machines and automatic doors. Since we couldn't go to any of the restaurants in the aiport (no tickets), we took them back to the mall for some chain restaurant. We went to Ruby Tuesday's because they have a salad bar. Anyway, it was lovely to try to catch up with Tami while meeting Katie and showing off the big mall. The stores were all closed since it was past seven on a Sunday but I think the spectacle was still impressive. After eating and trying not to be late, we got in our car and drove them to the check-in area with like 20 minutes until their flight left. I haven't heard back so hopefully they got through security ok and didn't miss their plane.

I'm glad we've stayed in touch with Tami all this time, and happy that she's found someone so amazing. We are really going to try to visit in 2006, really truly hopefully. I was even inspired to send a card to Adam and Kelly last night. I think I'm going to try to fly to St. Louis for Thanksgiving and save all my roadtrip mojo for going to New Mexico in January. I'm sure my parents can scrouge up a car for me for a few days (fingers crossed).