I've been thinking about the east coast for our next big move even though it's four years away still, but now I think I'll start thinking about immigrating to Canada as well. We've been talking, and I was a bit surprised by how quickly Shannon said she'd be fine with immigrating, becoming permanent residents and then applying for Canadian citizenship (assuming she doesn't really hate Canada if we move there). It's not that I wouldn't be on board, but I guess despite all my frustrations with America, I hestitate a bit to think of giving up my priviledge, my passport.
We began the talking when the vote that Canada legalized same-sex marriage happened recently. I think if go to all this trouble to want and have a family, we are going to do it in a country that will recognize us. I get so excited thinking about it, about staying on the same continent and suddenly being able to be a legal couple, have our kids just be our kids with no bureaucratic headache or legal fees or justification. What would it mean to me to become a Canadian? What would it mean to my family? What if I was no longer an American citizen? if I was an immigrant?
We'd look at Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Ontario in the East and British Columbia in the West. I think I'm ready to be on the fringes for awhile, out of the middle.