05 August 2003

LJ:

Yesterday was ok. I wasn't too thrilled with my group. Chris and Liz are both kind of hyper and distracted a lot, so I sent them off to make their hollandaise work. It took two tries but they got it beeyotiful. I made veloute sauce so I could make allemande sauce so I could make poulette sauce. It is tedious to make sauces I tell you what! I also made red sauce and more stock. Robert helped but was really ill so he didn't do much. I hope he feels better.

We also started learning about butchering meat. Butchering meat. It's a sad part of class. When some of my classmates were freaked out, I got all "If you want to eat meat, you must realize it's a dead animal." Poor little chickens. There's lots of popping of joints and crunching through bones when you turn the carcass into eight pieces. I said a little thank you to the Chicken god in the sky.

I have been eating chicken in class. I think mostly cuz it's free and I'm hungry at 9:30pm when we present our food. I rarely buy meat and I try not to eat meat... until I get to a restaurant. Then I lose all values and responsiblity I guess. Shannon and I have been able to shop mostly at our co-op so when we do eat meat, it's organic. But I know the restaurants buy crappy meat. Why can't I resist a hamburger or hot wings? I hardly drink milk anymore but still love cheese, eggs and butter. We're all about soy or rice milk at home. I still dig tofu and I really really love lotus root seitan. It's amazing. And TVP is great in stuff. I've gotta work on being more prinicipled I think. I will eat most anything if it's free, but I shouldn't buy the meat in restaurants if I don't like how they treat the animals. I'm just a restaurant whore really. I love that they do all the work for me. It's another level of absent modifier (is that the right term?) Not only do I not have to think about the animal in connection to the steak, but I can ignore the label by buying at a restuarant. I don't have to see that it's not organic.