04 August 2003

LJ:

I had a great weekend and didn't do a lick of studying. Friday, Shannon and I went out for Mexican. I had tamales and a couple margaritas. I got tipsy and silly and it felt good. I wanted to buy more liquor but the stores were already closed and I realized I was at a very nice mental floaty state. If I had pushed it, I'm sure I would have had fun too, but I liked how I felt. Nice responsible adult tipsy.

Saturday I went to the river with the dog, made a great stir-fry, watched "The Life of Birds", snoozed, and saw some cooking shows. I've never really been too into birds, but these David Attenborough documentaries are amazing. Did you know that birds can see ultraviolet light? Some of the birds that look quite amazing normally look positively garrish in ultraviolet. Like budgies, their dark cheek spots glow under ultraviolet light. It's way cool!

Today Shannon and I went out for brunch, went to the Minnesota Zoo, ate Taco Bell and I went back to the river with the pup. He got exceedingly stinky, very dirty-aquarium-fishy smelly, so I soaked his harness and leash in bleach and gave him a bath. I also "trimmed" his tail a little more and turned it into a poodle tail accidentally. But now he smells good and is shockingly white again.

I also washed my uniforms and got the stains out of the aprons. Took some soaking and this miracle stain remover Marlys gets us from Iowa. I guess I practiced my knife skills a bit with the stir-fry so that counts right? I have terms due Wednesday and my nutrition labels project due Thursday. I think I can catch up in no time. We're going to be making a lot more hollandaise sauce this week I think. Basic skills is going to make me fat. I eat more cream soups and sauces than I have ever before in my life.

I thought of another benefit to being a baker. If I bake all day, then I'll enjoy cooking when I get home. I won't be burned out from standing over a range all day and I can be as creative as I want because it's just for me and Shannon to eat.