15 July 2003

LJ:

So last night was my first night of classes. First off I must give shout-outs to Shannon, the best partner in the whole world. She offered to get up on her day off to make me breakfast, but I said sleep. So then she brought me Baja burritos for lunch and drove me from the U to the school. Then she came to pick me up, drove me home, made me a great quesadilla, and told me all the things she'd cleaned. The apartment looked wonderful, the dog was happy, I was happy and we cuddled and watched some reruns on TV and then went to bed. She's the bestest ever!

Class itself. So I got to school early, got my uniform troubles sorted out, found the student lounge and read me some Margaret Atwood. Tried to breathe and settle down. Headed up to Sanitation. The regular teacher wasn't there, so we had a sub, got the syllabus, watched a video about all the gross sicknesses from food, and then were released early. I found a locker in the tiny culinary lockeroom and shoved all my crap into a half locker. (Remind self to buy a lock today). Then I read more and wandered around the school. It's a weird place. I couldn't figure out how to use the internet in the computer labs. I think they don't let us. But that's ok cuz I shouldn't be on a computer for my only time off. I hadn't brought any money or food, so I was kinda shit outta luck, but I was too nervous to eat.

Then at 5ish I headed up to change and get ready for the first class. Chef Darrell is good, jovial, hails from Georgia, supportive. He talked forever about the syllabus and the class. I was getting hungry and tired. We then had a 15 min break so we all trudged down to smoke. Most of the kids at the night class were at least 25 or older so that was cool. I can't remember names but I hope to soon. Then we returned and learned about our knives and how to care for them. Next was knife skills and different cuts on carrots. We all did pretty well. I ate my carrot waste :) We then cleaned up and got out about an hour early.

So for today, I've got my clothes, my book, my knives. I've got to buy a binder, protection sheets, a little ruler, and a lock. I've got a little homework to do in between work and class and I've got to carb load before class so I won't be hungry latter on.