24 October 2007

Shannon's Externships

Shannon is in the midst of creating her schedule for rotations. They start some time in April I think and signal the end of classes. For then straight through until May 2009, she'll be in clinic constantly. No more summer break, no more lectures, no more tests. During this time she has to do at least 3 but no more than 5 externships at other institutions. She has already lined up one in Milton, VT and Snohomish, WA. She's still working on lining up the last required one and maybe an extra one for good measure. I'm not sure of the final list but I think it includes Bend, OR, one or two in Canada, and maybe a few places in upstate New York.

I'm not going to go with her for any of these. I suspect she'll be run ragged and just fall into bed half-asleep every night. No, I'll be home with the baby all by my lonesome, yikes! But I didn't bring this up to begin my freak out. Rather, I'm excited because these places she visits will be some of the places she applies for year-long internships after graduation. So some of these places will be where we might move in 2009. I'm very excited to think about the new places we might live. While she is furiously working during her two week stays, she also has to try to evaluate the feel of the town/city as well. I hope the places she likes professionally mesh with the places that have the best vibe/feeling to them.

For the sake of full disclosure, there might be a few vet school internships she applies to as well, mainly UC-Davis, Cornell University, and UG-Athens. The only place I hadn't thought about living on any of these lists is Athens, GA, but it's not as though she's asking me to move to Texas (probably the only place I am prejudiced against).

3 comments:

Anna said...

Glad to see Cornell on the list. I got my B.S. there and can't say enough great things about Ithaca or how awesome the Vet School is!

Anonymous said...

Woo! UCDavis!

I can completely understand why it might be low on your list, but I'm excited that it's even a remote possibility.

Laurie K said...

Dude, we were in Sleepy Hollow/Tarrytown over the weekend (30 minute train ride north of the city, with the Headless Horseman) and there were so many horses!