Lately I've been watching We Tv for old episodes of Kate and Allie. (Sidenote: Shannon loves how they announce "Next on We Tv.." because it sounds just like they are saying "Next ennui Tv" which is exactly what lots of their programming is.) I remember watching it with my mom back in the 80s. It's right up there with Golden Girls in terms of tv shows I loved featuring mainly women.
But that's not the show I need to confess watching. No, the show I am a bit embarassed by is Platinum Weddings. Why does this show appeal to me? I think it's a bit of the recent flurry of weddings mixed with my love of peering into the lives of rich people. The people and their weddings are insane, like $400,000 and up each and every one of them. Sometimes the receptions look like fun, other times I just wonder why they needed orchids flown in from Thailand to tie up the silk napkins. I mean really, they needed that? Usually the bride and groom are young too, like in their 20s so their parents are paying for it all. I would totally prefer the trust fund, but maybe they have so much money they get the big wedding AND the trust fund. Who are these people, I think, as I sit transfixed. It's like 'reading' Us Weekly. I know it's stupid and a total waste of my time and yet I do. I wonder if it was growing up in the 80s or watching "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous with Robin Leech" that did it. Or maybe it's the ever growing disparity between the rich and poor in this country. Whatever it is, this is not the only show like this. Vh1 is full of "The Fabulous Life of..." shows, Mtv has had "Cribs" like forever, plus the classic E! "True Hollywood Story". All of which I watch sometimes, I confess.
3 comments:
All of those things? I totally watch. Plus I watch "So You Think You Can Dance" AND I call in and vote for my favorites.
Woo for trashy tv!
I LOOOOVE "So You Think You Can Dance," but I wish it had more dancing and fewer second-rate pop star performances. I was way into it last summer, because I was home alone and working odd hours during its first three weeks. I watched it obsessively.
This summer, however, S is home, so I pretend that I'm not that into it and that it just happens to be the only thing on TV. 'Cause I'm cool. Shit.
Post a Comment