It's work to get back into the swing of the school year. Last night the prospect of making dinner was awful. I just don't have enough creativity some weeknights in proportion to my hunger. However, I did make an apple crisp last night that Shannon appreciated. Despite my best efforts, I still don't like the texture of cooked apples, so it was just bits of crumble for me. The apples are local McIntosh which are tart and juicy. Definately a sign of fall.
So are the birthdays coming up, mine this Sunday, Shannon's next Saturday. My thoughts are all over the map regarding turning 29, but mostly they are thankful and positive. While I really hoped to have a baby by now, waiting another year is cool too. It'll be even more time to knit and read and drink wine. I don't know if I'm the person I thought I'd be at this age, back when I was a teenager because I know how critical I was on myself then, but I think I've turned out pretty good. I'm not an activist, but I don't shop at Wal-Mart. I take the bus more often than I ever thought I would, avowed car-lover as I am. I am hopefully gaining tolerance of differing viewpoints and opinions, not selling out or abandoning my idealism and principles. If nothing else, since leaving my mother's home for college and never looking back, I have a beautiful family of pets and partner full of laughter and warmth.
Shannon will be turning 30, reaching this milestone that her brother Scott did not. To me this is the weirdest part of one's older brother dying. She is now ahead, older than him. Everything from here on out is uncharted territory. There's no older sibling doing or not doing it first.
Plus she's embarking on another decade, saying goodbye to her 20s. But really I suppose this whole year has been a goodbye to her 20s. Not that she hasn't always acted mature, but we are really getting into the heart of our lives, you know. The next ten years should bring her a profession and us a child or two. While different in scope to legally drinking and leaving one's hometown, the impact will surely be as great. I can't wait to see who we become over the next decade, mainly because this last one together was so awesome. Perhaps that will be the toast I'll raise, to awesome decades together, to the great people we become, to the family I love.
The chilly weather is also creating immense desire to knit wooly things to swaddle myself in from hand to toe. Shannon's put in a request for some hats. I've always got socks on the needles. There's a scarf or two leftover from last winter to finish and some new projects I'm mulling over. There's going to be some knitting holiday gifts, but not too many. Not for Shannon's family, though aside from the cousin's baby gifts, because they are all a bit averse to wool. The exception is her wonderful Grandmother Viriginia getting an alpaca shawl, design still in progress. I'm thinking some holes, but not actual lace, in either one rectangle or two together to form more of an L shape. My parents and their partners will each get either socks or a luxurious scarf, cashmere/angora/silk. My brother and step-sisters will probably get some kind of hat/scarf/glove gift or combo. My sister will probably get a felted bag, large, maybe with some intarsia. I just don't know. It is daunting, considering we are visiting my family this year. Hopefully we can offer to make the holiday pies and have some knitting items to distribute.
No comments:
Post a Comment