06 July 2006

back

We spent the past few days in Iowa with Shannon's family, but I don't know if it was enough vacation for me. I still feel the acute need to sleep in and snack every few hours. There were some cookouts and lots of catching up as well as Shannon's mother's birthday celebration. All the dogs ran and wrestled almost non-stop, regardless of the heat. I even took a slight knitting break by only working on some socks.

When I stopped to think about it, I was amazed that I have been part of her family for the past eight years. With her being the only openly gay person in her family, they have all been remarkably open and accepting. I suppose my history with them goes back even farther though, back twelve years -I mean eleven years- to our first year in college. I met her parents when we were all moving in to the dorms and spend that Thanksgiving with them too. The transition from friend to life partner went over pretty well with her parents. I don't know how our relationship will change when we have kids, but I hope it will continue to be easy and fun.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

"Back twelve years to our first year in college."
Twelve?? Jesus.

Laura said...

My math is a little off, because it was 1995. So that's only eleven years, but we are old now. Hell you are fixing to be someone's Mother you know!