27 June 2006

six days later...

Work is busy busy, so busy I haven't even had time for reading blogs or gossip sites or all the ridiculous time-wasting things with which I normally find time for during work. But here are some quick updates. Taking care of four dogs last week made Shannon really appreciate our two. She took them to the park twice (total time there: 3.5 hours) and by the end of the day when I got home, all the dogs were very mellow. Dallas and Brandon finished moving the bulk of their stuff by 10pm that night and Warren and Maxwell Banjo proceeded to mark their new yard with vigor.

During the week, we made all the food I listed plus rhubarb sauce and brownies. Shannon and rhubarb is a wonderful thing. Fabulous brownie innovation: do not mix the pecans in, but distribute on top. Then sprinkle a little white sugar and kosher salt on the nuts. Incredible.

I have been knitting and I'm *thisclose* to finishing my first in-the-round baby sweater. I had a pattern (Child's Placket-Neck Pullover from "Last Minute Knitted Gifts", by Joelle Hoverson. Errata here.) but decided to completely change the neckline. Results forthcoming.

We went to the discount theater on Friday night and saw Friends with Money which was pretty good. We are big fans of Frances McDormand and Joan Cusack. And speaking of movies, I watched Swingers Sunday on cable, and it was good, maybe better than I remembered. Mostly I was struck by how clearly set in the 90s it was and how skinny Vince Vaughn looked.

We went to Pride on Sunday, although we slept in and missed the parade. Usually Shannon works over the weekend during the summer. She's more of the festival attending type of the two of us, I guess, because I never went on my own or anything. It was fun but very crowded. There were so many kids too which was great. Of course I didn't bring my camera. I seem to be forgetting it all the time. Must start remembering it.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Hmmm. I too thought Vince Vaugn looked real skinny in Swingers... but I didn't much care for Friends with Money. Mostly, I think, because Frances McDormand and Joan Cusack were underused, and Jennifer Aniston was - as usual in my opinion - overused.

The pecans/sugar/salt go on the brownies before you bake them, right?

Laura said...

Yes, you spread the nuts around on the top of the batter and then lightly sprinkle with some sugar and salt. It was like turtle brownies, it was like salty chocolate love. I made the brownies from scratch (cuz I'm all hardcore like that) but I bet this technique would fancy up a mix in no time.

I agree about the underusage, but I have an irrational like of Jennifer Aniston. I think it began when she was interviewed for Kathy Najimy's Intimate Portrait on Lifetime, but perhaps their cute feminist friendship just sealed the deal for me.