04 April 2006

Week of the Cake

Since the cake is needed Saturday, this week is crunch time. I can be found debating fake flowers arrangements versus just getting real ones with Shannon as we try to make this three-tiered behemoth look good (in our heads, it won't be baked until Friday for freshness of course). I will be making batch after batch of (some kind of) buttercream. Notice I should already have chosen a recipe, but I am still worrying about which version will be the most hardy. The rest of the time I can be found at work trying not to worry about the stupid cake or at home knitting because I'm pretending the cake event is not looming in my future.

Shannon mentioned last night that she didn't want her opinions to inhibit my creativity with this cake, that I am the one who went to school and have all this 'knowledge' behind my opinions. I gently reminded her that all she had to do was look around our living room to see that I did not express my creativity in baked goods. Our house was not currently overrun in baking supplies, but yarn. Can't she see that I am currently expressing myself with yarn! This produced a hearty laugh which diffused another of our heated floral-related debated.

I did bring in the leftover cake from the weekend trials (where we decided upon a lovely homemade white cake) and everyone in my office loved it. They remembered fondly when I would bring in leftovers from culinary school and then politely inquired (with greedy eyes) why I couldn't more regularly bring them in baked goods.

2 comments:

Laurie K said...

you can use the cake blog for inspiration! Make a meat loaf cake! Not the cat litter one, that is grooooosss.

Laura said...

That cat litter cake was forwarded around my office a few years ago. Then someone made it for a halloween potluck. I did not partake.