04 September 2005

old post: extra loafing

I'm very happy to have a three-day weekend, happy to have an extra day to loaf about. There have been thunderstorms and rain for the past maybe 36 hours. It just quit around 10am at our house. Shannon and I were wondering if our weather was a remnant, the butterfly effect if you will, of Katrina.

Shannon has completed her orientation, her classes begin on Tuesday. She swears she's going to start posting again, now that she'll be around computers so much and now that she is in possession of a certain portable bit of technology (which I'm using -hello updating on my couch!- but not really allowed to talk about until she's talked about. I can talk about the iPod though which was part of the "back to school" deal. I find it to be amazing due to its lack of moving parts. That's really the amazing part of digital technology. This little music player is exactly the kind of sci fi technology that no one would have believed 50 years ago. It's a mini so it only holds 4 gigs. I'm conceptualizing it as a temporary mix, mostly just shuffling all the songs into one big mix. When I get tired of this song or that, I'll modify. The songs are fairly different (Patsy Cline, James Brown, Interpol, etc) but they do flow together fairly well.

Shannon and I are going to share it, but I'm thinking uploading the songs will be up to me generally. I'll have to make sure the mix appeals to both of us. I think Shannon needs a small radio to listen to on the bus or whenever. She's gotten to be such an NPR freak with all the driving she normally does that I think she'd miss the news if she couldn't listen on the bus.

I'm not really doing anything right now. There's a documentary about New York City on PBS, I'm updating, there's a bowl of pesto pasta waiting for me on the side table. The dogs are bored and waiting to go to the park (haven't been since Friday due to the rain). I just watched The Station Agent. Very good, I gave it 5 stars on Netflix (ooh, KT do you want to be Netflix friends?). Nice easy Sunday.